The palace (palazzo) was built between 1724 and 1726 by architect Ferdinando Sanfelice, who designed it as his private residence. The building consists of two separate bodies unified in the front. The portals of access are surmounted by a plaster decoration depicting two mermaids holding an epigraph with an inscription, according to some sources, by the writer Matteo Egizio.
From these inscriptions it appears that one of the two structures was built ex novo by Sanfelice, while the other incorporating some pre-existing buildings, no longer identifiable. The first building body rotates around an octagonal courtyard with a double staircase, which still retains its original plaster decorations. The other part of the building has a larger rectangular courtyard separated from the back garden by a scenographical flight of steps.
In the eighteenth century the main floor was decorated with frescoes (the sources still remember in 1845 the vault painted by Francesco Solimena) gone now entirely lost.