It is the newest basilica of the city of Naples, because was built between 1920 and 1960 as a tribute to the picture of the "Incoronata Madre del Buon Consiglio" (Mother of Good Counsel) in it secured. This picture was painted in 1884, and was committed by Maria di Gesł Landi, a woman with a profound marian spirituality.
The painting was the protagonist of two miracles: the same year in which it was painted so it stopped a cholera epidemic that stroke Naples and, in 1906, during an eruption of Vesuvius, its exposure to the people put an end to the abundant rain of volcanic ashes who was hitting the city.
With these two events, sister Maria managed to obtain the official recognition of the cult and the coronation of the picture (1912); a large number of pilgrims came to pay homage to the effigy, so it was necessary to build this church, in the place that Sister Maria had shown - almost as a guardian of the Catacombs of San Gennaro - modelled on the Basilica di San Pietro in Vatican. Inside the Basilica are buried some royal princesses of the house of Savoy.